Notify about non-visible but selected images
Sometimes, you have more images selected on the lighttable than are actually visible. And I don't mean that you would have to scroll to see them.
I think one should bring this to the user's attention in a better way. Currently, you only see this at the top in the line "6 images of 120 in current collection is selected". But I consider it a potentially dangerous situation. You may apply changes to too many pictures and be surprised by it.
I see four possible remedies:
- Assure that all selected images are visible.
- Highlight the line "6 images of 120 in current collection is selected" in a very prominent way if not all selected images are visible.
- Open a popup warning after an operation that causes hidden selected images.
- Open a popup warning before an operation that affects non-visible images.
#1 Updated by Tobias Ellinghaus almost 5 years ago
- Tracker changed from Feature to Bug
- % Done changed from 0 to 20
- Priority changed from Low to Medium
- Status changed from New to Triaged
- bitness set to 64-bit
- System set to all
- Affected Version set to git development version
It's a kind-of-oldish bug. Images that are not visible shouldn't be selected.
#2 Updated by Torsten Bronger almost 5 years ago
However then, I see a possible follow-up issue with collections based on tag filter (it may be true for some other kinds of filters, too): If you change the tags of some images, their thumbs may vanish instantly. If you actually wanted to do further things with those images, you are in trouble.
#3 Updated by Tobias Ellinghaus almost 5 years ago
They already do that (vanishing). The actual bug is that you can select images that are not visible. I can reproduce it like this: Select an image, set the rating filter in the top bar to something high so that no images are shown anymore. This sets the selected-counter to 0. However, when you click into the empty lighttable now it selects one image. That may not happen. I don't know if that is the very same case as for you, but the consequences are the same.
#4 Updated by Torsten Bronger almost 5 years ago
Yes, with "vanishing" I described current behaviour.
My follow-up does not describe a bug but an inconvenience. For example, you want to rename all tags "landscape" into "nature". You collect all images with the tag "landscape", add "nature" and remove "landscape". So far, so good. But correct ordering of the add/remove operation would become crucial if you lose selection when the images vanish.