Make keyboard in lighttable's file manager view behave like most actual file managers
Current selection behaviour is weird and brings lots of discussion and complaints, essentially user frustration.
I propose to make the selection behaviour in lighttable's file manager view to act like most file managers do:
- initial view: no selection
- [arrow key]: select first image, then move single selection in direction indicated by arrow
- [home]: select first image in collection
- [end]: select last image in collection
- [shift]+[arrow]: expand selected range in arrow direction
- [shift]+[home]: select range from current selection to first image in selection
- [shift]+[end]: analogous to above
This behaviour is common in most file managers, text editors, etc and is simply the way that a vast majority of users expect to navigate pretty much any list of items they encounter on a computer.
If darktable sticks to this commonly known convention, people don't have to learn a new way of navigating and selection in a list of things, thus the learning curve into darktable is suddenly not as steep any more.
BTW: this selection and navigation paradigm is already applied within all text fields in darktable. Consistency is great for user interfaces.