ui lag when ungrouping a few hundred images
os: osx 10.8.3
steps to reproduce:
1) select ~200 images
2) selected image[s] -> group
3) selected image[s] -> ungroup
the entire UI freezes for >20 seconds
#1 Updated by Tobias Ellinghaus over 6 years ago
- System changed from Mac OS X to all
- Affected Version changed from 1.1.4 to git development version
- % Done changed from 0 to 10
- Status changed from New to Confirmed
- Category set to Lighttable
First of all I have to mention that grouping wasn't intended to be used for bigger amounts of images but just a few ones instead. For example to group RAW+JPEG, or the different exposures for a HDR shot.
That being said I know that there is a significant speed problem when changing a group (this also happens when changing the representative). The problem is that we are caching the group_id in the image struct for quick access when drawing the lighttable, however the problem is that updating the group needs to iterate over all images, get a write lock from the internal cache, change the stuff and clean up. It used to be a single SQL query which was blazing fast, but it made drawing the lighttable somewhat slower. So in the end it's a trade-off we have to do.
#2 Updated by Tobias Ellinghaus almost 6 years ago
- % Done changed from 10 to 20
- Target version set to Future
- Status changed from Confirmed to Triaged
Jo, do you have an idea how to remedy this? Would a background job be the solution? It wouldn't make it faster, but at least it wouldn't block the UI.