Use list instead of a table for plugin manager
Now Darktable uses a table with icons for plugin manager.
And there are 50 plugins. And the user doesn't see their names, just icons.
So it's VERY irritating having to place the mouse cursor over ALL 50 (!!!) icons to find the needed module. I can't remember them all :)
I suggest using a scrollable list of labeled buttons instead of table. I think it's MUCH more usable.
Patch is attached. I had to modify the drawing routine of the tristate button, because previous code was either drawing just the text, or just the icon, but not both at the same time.
Also, I've changed flip.png icon so it now is 24x24 with margins, like all others.
#1 Updated by Christian Tellefsen over 7 years ago
- Target version set to Candidate for next major release
- Category set to Darkroom
Thank you for your input! Personally I completely agree -- the "more-modules-module" is a pain to navigate.
There was a long and passionate debate on this topic in the mailing list a couple of weeks ago:
The active modules list is likely to be moved to the Preferences dialogue. As we currently are in a string freeze the functionality may need to wait until after the next release.
I'm leaving this issue open, in case the patch should be pulled in as a temporary fix. (It doesn't seem to break the string freeze, might be relevant for the upcoming release?)
#5 Updated by Jérémy Rosen over 7 years ago
Ok, we had a small discussion on IRC, and here are our current comments
- please use normal text instead of bold
- it would make more sense to have the plugin list sorted alphabetically instead of the pipe order. Ease of search is more important than rendering hints here...
- I haven't had time to check this myself, but please make sure you don't break string freeze... we plan to rewrite the more-module logic after the next stable release, so this patch only make sense in this stable release, and we are already in string-freeze...
#8 Updated by Jérémy Rosen over 7 years ago
Ok, we have been discussing a little bit more how this should look like...
we believe that a simple way to do it would have to have three colums in the table
- first column would be the module's icon
- second column would be empty or a star if the module is a favorite (the star icon from the favorite group)
- third column would be the module name
the three modes would be displayed in the follwing way
- off : dark background, no star
- on : light background, no star
- favorite : light background, with star
this should not break string freeze since the only string used would be the module name which is already available somewhere else...
Sorry to make you rewrite the patch so much, but hopefully it can be done in time for 1.1
#9 Updated by Jérémy Rosen over 7 years ago
- % Done changed from 70 to 100
- Status changed from Patch attached to Fixed
Ok I did a commit based on your patch (though heavily reworked, the feature I asked were actually more complicated than I expected)
thx for the initial patch, though that was a good base on which to work