Project

General

Profile

Camera Support #12589

Noise profile for Nikon D3

Added by Mikal Shaikh 17 days ago. Updated 12 days ago.

Status:
Fixed
Priority:
Low
Assignee:
Category:
Darkroom
Target version:
Start date:
02/05/2019
Due date:
% Done:

100%

Affected Version:
git master branch

Description

I recently picked up a beautiful practically NIB Nikon D3 for cheap, but was disappointed that there was no noise profile for it. So I followed the recent instructions (https://pixls.us/articles/how-to-create-camera-noise-profiles-for-darktable/) and produced what appears to my eye a solid noise profile for the camera. The complete tarball is attached. Please let me know if you need any of the raw files that were used to produce the profile. Thanks for your work on this wonderful program!

darktable-noiseprofile-20190205.tar.gz - Nikon D3 noise profile (6.05 MB) Mikal Shaikh, 02/05/2019 06:18 PM

History

#1 Updated by Roman Lebedev 17 days ago

Not exactly related to the noiseprofile, but please contribute the full raw sample set to https://raw.pixls.us/
It is specified there which raws are needed:

Nikon & Sony: all the combinations of compression and bitness settings, plus all the raw sizes, that is:
12bit-compressed
12bit-uncompressed
12bit-lossless-compressed
14bit-compressed
14bit-uncompressed
14bit-lossless-compressed
small NEF
medium NEF

#2 Updated by Pascal Obry 17 days ago

  • Assignee set to Pascal Obry
  • Target version set to 2.6.1
  • Category set to Darkroom

Thanks, looks good.

#3 Updated by Pascal Obry 17 days ago

  • Status changed from New to Fixed
  • % Done changed from 0 to 100

#4 Updated by Roman Lebedev 16 days ago

Roman Lebedev wrote:

Not exactly related to the noiseprofile, but please contribute the full raw sample set to https://raw.pixls.us/
It is specified there which raws are needed:
[...]

The request still stands regardless of whether or not noiseprofile was ok/merged.

#5 Updated by Mikal Shaikh 12 days ago

Roman Lebedev wrote:

Roman Lebedev wrote:

Not exactly related to the noiseprofile, but please contribute the full raw sample set to https://raw.pixls.us/
It is specified there which raws are needed:
[...]

The request still stands regardless of whether or not noiseprofile was ok/merged.

Hi Roman,

I am happy to contribute the sample set, but I am a bit confused by the raw.pixls.us site. On the site it says they are NOT looking for "[s]eries of images with different ISO, aperture, shutter, wb, lighting, or different lenses." and that they ARE looking for images that are "in focus and properly exposed." The sample set I produced for the noise profiles are just out of focus test shots of a gradient target per the instructions, so they seem to fall into the category of images that are not being requested.

Sorry if I am being dense, as I am quite new to this project/process...

#6 Updated by Roman Lebedev 12 days ago

Mikal Shaikh wrote:

Roman Lebedev wrote:

Roman Lebedev wrote:

Not exactly related to the noiseprofile, but please contribute the full raw sample set to https://raw.pixls.us/
It is specified there which raws are needed:
[...]

The request still stands regardless of whether or not noiseprofile was ok/merged.

Hi Roman,

I am happy to contribute the sample set, but I am a bit confused by the raw.pixls.us site. On the site it says they are NOT looking for "[s]eries of images with different ISO, aperture, shutter, wb, lighting, or different lenses." and that they ARE looking for images that are "in focus and properly exposed." The sample set I produced for the noise profiles are just out of focus test shots of a gradient target per the instructions, so they seem to fall into the category of images that are not being requested.

Sorry if I am being dense, as I am quite new to this project/process...

TLDR: pick some scenery (daylight landscape for example, but must not contain people), place camera on tripod, and prepare
to take the normal images of that scenery. By normal i mean normal - properly exposed, not over/under exposed, in focus, etc.

I'm having trouble finding a PDF copy of the usermanual for that camera, so i'm not sure which raw modes it has, so the list in
https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/12589#note-1 may list a few modes that do not exist on that camera.
But it is complete in the sense of listing everything that is needed. As in, nothing else is needed.

Now, for each entry in that list, set those settings in camera, and take the pic. You'll end up with n different raws with the exact same "content".
Then just upload each file separately to raw.pixls.us.

Did this explain it?

Also available in: Atom PDF