Metadata deletions are undone when reloading xmp sidecars
When metadata (tags, title, description, creator, publisher, rights) is deleted from the xmp sidecar using an external application (or possibly another darktable instance on a different machine), the crawler offers to reloaded the modified xmp files. However, the deleted metadata is not deleted from the library database. Instead, the metadata from the library is instantly written back to the xmp file, thus reverting the change.
When using tags or other metadata, this bug makes it impossible to use darktable together with other tools such as digiKam or use darktable on different machines.Steps to reproduce:
- enable "look for updated xmp files on startup" in the preferences
- add some tags or other metadata (title, description, creator, publisher, rights) in darktable
- close darktable
- use a text editor to remove some or all of the tags from dc:subject and lr:hierarchicalSubject or remove some of the dc:title, dc:description, dc:creator, dc:publisher and dc:rights tags from the xmp file
- start darktable
- in the reload dialog, check the edited files and press "reload selected xmp files"
- darktable immediately writes the deleted metadata back to the xmp file and the deleted metadata still shows up in the UI