Project

General

Profile

Bug #11880

White balance export problems

Added by Christian Pietzsch about 1 year ago. Updated about 1 year ago.

Status:
Closed: invalid
Priority:
Low
Assignee:
-
Category:
Lighttable
Target version:
Start date:
12/23/2017
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Affected Version:
git master branch
System:
other GNU/Linux
bitness:
64-bit
hardware architecture:
amd64/x86

Description

I recently noticed that when I export images there are problems with the white balance (at least I think it's white balance). Within the application they are normal. When exporting the preview within nautilus file manager shows them in false colors. When you open these images with the Gnome image viewer they are completely normal. Within Gimp they appear normal in the working space but the little preview in the tab and the layers is also false colors.
If I sent them in Telegram they only get sent in false colors So it varies from application to application.
Since I often get the error that the camera white balance can't be read I adjusted I manually but the effect is the same.
I put my raw file as well as two exported ones in the attachments (first exported is with automatic white balance the second one with spot white balance)
Please let me know if I can provide more information.

System
4.12.14-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 20 10:51:00 UTC 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

 darktable --version
this is darktable 2.2.5
copyright (c) 2009-2017 johannes hanika
darktable-dev@lists.darktable.org

compile options:
  bit depth is 64 bit
  normal build
  SSE2 optimized codepath enabled
  OpenMP support enabled
  OpenCL support enabled
  Lua support enabled, API version 4.0.0
  Colord support enabled
  gPhoto2 support enabled
  GraphicsMagick support enabled
  OpenEXR support enabled

DSC02434_02.jpg - spot white balance (856 KB) Christian Pietzsch, 12/25/2017 12:42 PM

DSC02434_01.jpg - automatic white balance (1.3 MB) Christian Pietzsch, 12/25/2017 12:42 PM

DSC02434.ARW - RaAW File (19.6 MB) Christian Pietzsch, 12/25/2017 12:45 PM

History

#1 Updated by Roman Lebedev about 1 year ago

  • Status changed from New to Closed: invalid

Christian Pietzsch wrote:

I recently noticed that when I export images there are problems with the white balance (at least I think it's white balance).

Within the application they are normal.
When exporting the preview within nautilus file manager shows them in false colors.
When you open these images with the Gnome image viewer they are completely normal.
Within Gimp they appear normal in the working space but the little preview in the tab and the layers is also false colors.
If I sent them in Telegram they only get sent in false colors So it varies from application to application.

Clearly, some of those applications are color-managed, and some not.

Since I often get the error that the camera white balance can't be read I adjusted I manually but the effect is the same.

Please open a new issue for that. The sample you attached does exhibit this problem, so attach it there.
Is the raw file directly manually copied from camera's flash card, and not modified with exiv2/exiftool/etc?

Also, please contribute a sample from that camera (SONY SLT-A58) to https://raw.pixls.us/

I put my raw file as well as two exported ones in the attachments (first exported is with automatic white balance the second one with spot white balance)
Please let me know if I can provide more information.

System
4.12.14-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 20 10:51:00 UTC 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[...]

#2 Updated by Tobias Ellinghaus about 1 year ago

The actual problem is that you are exporting with the BGR color profile. It is supposed to be used to find applications that are not color managed by showing false colors there – just what you are seeing. Use sRGB instead and all will be back to normal.

#3 Updated by Roman Lebedev about 1 year ago

  • Target version set to 2.6.0

#4 Updated by Christian Pietzsch about 1 year ago

Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

The actual problem is that you are exporting with the BGR color profile. It is supposed to be used to find applications that are not color managed by showing false colors there – just what you are seeing. Use sRGB instead and all will be back to normal.

Thanks a lot. That was the issue. Don't know how it got changed though.

Please open a new issue for that. The sample you attached does exhibit this problem, so attach it there.Is the raw file directly manually copied from camera's flash card, and not modified with exiv2/exiftool/etc? Also, please contribute a sample from that camera (SONY SLT-A58) to https://raw.pixls.us/

I know this issue with the white balance isn't camera related. It is a problem with the experimental feature of Digikam writing meta data to the raw file itself. I already looked at raw.pixels.us a while back and saw that they have reference for my camera

Thanks again

#5 Updated by Roman Lebedev about 1 year ago

Christian Pietzsch wrote:

Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

The actual problem is that you are exporting with the BGR color profile. It is supposed to be used to find applications that are not color managed by showing false colors there – just what you are seeing. Use sRGB instead and all will be back to normal.

Thanks a lot. That was the issue. Don't know how it got changed though.

Please open a new issue for that. The sample you attached does exhibit this problem, so attach it there.Is the raw file directly manually copied from camera's flash card, and not modified with exiv2/exiftool/etc? Also, please contribute a sample from that camera (SONY SLT-A58) to https://raw.pixls.us/

I know this issue with the white balance isn't camera related. It is a problem with the experimental feature of Digikam writing meta data to the raw file itself.

Congrats. You get to keep the pieces. Please don't forget to tell them that feature of theirs has destroyed yet another raw file.

I already looked at raw.pixels.us a while back and saw that they have reference for my camera

Thanks again

Also available in: Atom PDF