Project

General

Profile

Feature #10492

Better support for CFA cameras with removed CFA

Added by Victor Lamoine almost 5 years ago. Updated over 4 years ago.

Status:
Fixed
Priority:
Low
Assignee:
Category:
Darkroom
Target version:
-
Start date:
05/26/2015
Due date:
% Done:

100%

Estimated time:
Affected Version:
git development version
System:
all
bitness:
64-bit
hardware architecture:
amd64/x86

Description

It should be possible to disable the module "demosaic" for people who removed UV/IR/bayer filter(s) on their camera sensor.

Associated revisions

Revision a0984bec
Added by Roman Lebedev over 4 years ago

Merge pull request #924 from LebedevRI/iop-demosaic-monochrome

[RFC] Monochrome demosaicing. Fixes #10492

History

#1 Updated by Roman Lebedev almost 5 years ago

  • % Done changed from 0 to 20
  • Status changed from New to Incomplete

Without actual sample RAW's, i think, it will be closed as wontfix.
Is there any samples?

#2 Updated by Michel Corps almost 5 years ago

Roman Lebedev wrote:

Without actual sample RAW's, i think, it will be closed as wontfix.
Is there any samples?

You can find jpeg and raw samples of Leica M Monochrom Typ 246 here :
http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/leica_m_monochrom_typ_246_photos/

#3 Updated by Roman Lebedev almost 5 years ago

Leica M Monochrom is already supported, this is not needed for that camera.

#4 Updated by Michel Corps almost 5 years ago

Roman Lebedev wrote:

Leica M Monochrom is already supported, this is not needed for that camera.

A well known french photography website wrote an article about how to remove the Bayer matrix from a camera sensor : http://www.focus-numerique.com/boitier-monochrome-news-7032.html

I am not ready to remove my Bayer matrix (neither to buy a Leica Monochrom...) so I am not really concerned by this demand but I am curious to know why you need a sample. If you disabled demosaic interpolation for the Leica Monochrom, is it not easy to provide the option to disable the IOP ?

#5 Updated by Victor Lamoine almost 5 years ago

Michel Corps wrote:

Roman Lebedev wrote:

Leica M Monochrom is already supported, this is not needed for that camera.

A well known french photography website wrote an article about how to remove the Bayer matrix from a camera sensor : http://www.focus-numerique.com/boitier-monochrome-news-7032.html

I am not ready to remove my Bayer matrix (neither to buy a Leica Monochrom...) so I am not really concerned by this demand but I am curious to know why you need a sample. If you disabled demosaic interpolation for the Leica Monochrom, is it not easy to provide the option to disable the IOP ?

This is the exact article that lead me to open a feature request. In the article they state that they have found nearly no software that would allow disabling the de-bayering on RAW files.
I asked for one or two example RAW files on their forum (http://www.lesnumeriques.com/legrandforum/avis/Photo/news-rumeur/boitier-monochrome-sujet_26673_1.htm)

I didn't try to remove the bayer filter on my camera yet but I plan to do so if it's possible to disable demosaicing in darktable.

#6 Updated by Roman Lebedev almost 5 years ago

  • System changed from Ubuntu to all
  • Affected Version changed from 1.6.6 to git development version

Michel Corps wrote:

Roman Lebedev wrote:

Leica M Monochrom is already supported, this is not needed for that camera.

A well known french photography website wrote an article about how to remove the Bayer matrix from a camera sensor : http://www.focus-numerique.com/boitier-monochrome-news-7032.html

Got a few samples from https://www.maxmax.com/b&w_pictures.htm

I am not ready to remove my Bayer matrix (neither to buy a Leica Monochrom...) so I am not really concerned by this demand but I am curious to know why you need a sample.

If you disabled demosaic interpolation for the Leica Monochrom, is it not easy to provide the option to disable the IOP ?

Not exactly. We disable demosaic for those at the file loading point - we load 1-ch Bayer image as 3-ch normal image, with all 3 channels having the same values.
Here, it can not be done, so it would be necessary to implement another demosaic method that would do similar work.

#7 Updated by Tobias Ellinghaus almost 5 years ago

Hmm, those test files load fine with current master. Just the portrait images don't get rotated.

#8 Updated by Roman Lebedev almost 5 years ago

Why wouldn't they load fine?
Scrapping CFA from sensor does not change metadata.

#9 Updated by Tobias Ellinghaus almost 5 years ago

  • Assignee set to Tobias Ellinghaus
  • Status changed from Incomplete to Triaged

I stand corrected, there are some color artifacts that mostly go away when using amaze. Adding a new monochrome demosaic option would probably not be too hard and gets rid of those.

#10 Updated by Tobias Ellinghaus almost 5 years ago

  • % Done changed from 20 to 50
  • Assignee changed from Tobias Ellinghaus to Roman Lebedev
  • Status changed from Triaged to In Progress

#11 Updated by Michel Corps almost 5 years ago

Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

Adding a new monochrome demosaic option would probably not be too hard and gets rid of those.

Just to be sure : what you call "monochrome demosaic option" means no interpolation at all, am I right ?

#12 Updated by Roman Lebedev almost 5 years ago

Michel Corps wrote:

Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

Adding a new monochrome demosaic option would probably not be too hard and gets rid of those.

Just to be sure : what you call "monochrome demosaic option" means no interpolation at all, am I right ?

Essentially - yes.
https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/compare/master...LebedevRI:iop-demosaic-monochrome#diff-a001a1125b3a87d818accabc8b2f2751R1176

#13 Updated by Roman Lebedev almost 5 years ago

  • Subject changed from Allow disabling demosaicing to Better support for CFA cameras with removed CFA

#14 Updated by Roman Lebedev over 4 years ago

  • % Done changed from 50 to 70
  • Status changed from In Progress to Patch attached

PR924: Monochrome demosaicing.
There are a few caveats regarding thumbnail in DR (and, subsequently, histogram and color picker), but the rest should mostly work.

#15 Updated by Roman Lebedev over 4 years ago

  • % Done changed from 70 to 100
  • Status changed from Patch attached to Fixed

Also available in: Atom PDF

Go to top