import : "image is not avalaible" (and then DT is unusable)
With DT 1.6.6
I imported a new roll (never imported before) and I got image <filename> is not avalaible and some missing thumbnails. Then DT is no more able to open any image in darkroom (even one which the thumbnail is ok). The image "not available" is available on the disk and can be open with XnViewMP or Shotwell.
Downgrading to DT 1.4.2
No problem importing the same folder.
#3 Updated by Michel Corps over 4 years ago
Please read more about this problem here : http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php/topic,6465.0.html
According to DT team, it is not a DT bug since Exiftool re-structures the raw files (even to modify only an exif date !). The only thing I could argue is that none of the others software able to open ORF files have this problem (and not all of them are based on dcraw) so DT could be more robust in this aspect.
But I may understand that is not the main priority of DT team since it is better to never modify raw files. So I will be happy with any solution which allow me to reimport my few "broken" files.
On IRC Pedro talked about a "fix" which has the side effect to remove WB so I will have to set it manually. It is fine for me.
#4 Updated by Pedro Côrte-Real over 4 years ago
- % Done changed from 0 to 100
- Target version set to Candidate for next minor release
- Status changed from New to Fixed
Yeah, this was fixed in this commit:
It should be included in 1.6.7. This makes the image load fine but white balance is not read. About editing raw files:
1) There is absolutely no situation in which it is a good idea to edit a raw file. None whatsoever.
2) If you do break a raw file we will not add special cases to handle those files, it will stay broken.
3) Even if the broken file works today with darktable it may not in the future, we will not fix those cases either.