Allow to specify export size in real world measure + PPI
FEATURE REQUEST: It would be useful to be able to be able to set DPI/PPI in lighttable. As Richard Levitte wrote in the darktable-users list (Dec 4, 2014): "I would still like to have a way to give export sizes in centimeters/inches/whatever and dpi, simply because there are cases where that's the more practical thing. Say I want to print an image at 30x40cm and I know that the optimal DPI for my favorite printer is 300DPI. Darktable could calculate the amount of pixels for me."
#1 Updated by Tobias Ellinghaus almost 4 years ago
- Subject changed from Set DPI/PPI in lighttable to Allow to specify export size in real world measure + PPI
- Target version changed from Candidate for next major release to Future
- Status changed from New to Triaged
- System changed from Ubuntu to all
- Affected Version changed from git stable branch to git development version
- % Done changed from 0 to 20
The request of Richard was to make dt calculate the image size (in pixel²) from a PPI+real world unit+real world size triple. It is not about setting some arbitrary metadata in the exported file (though it could be set there, too).
My reply to that request was:
"In order for that to work I would first like to have upscaling capabilities.
Currently you could enter something bigger than your crop allows, too, but
when doing it with real world units and PPI it gets even more hidden if your
image actually allows the requested size."